Thursday, February 18, 2010

From The Vault


This week's featured book:

The Bartered Bride
by Erica Vetsch


Heartsong Presents #875
ISBN: 9781602605893

Jonathan Kennebrae is furious when his grandfather informs him that his future has been decided. He will marry Melissa Brooke or lose his inheritance. Melissa, too, is devastated when her parents make their announcement. As little more than a bargaining chip in her father's business maneuvers, she feels her secure world slipping away. Can Jonathan and Melissa find a way out of this loveless marriage, or must they find a way forward together?

Here's and excerpt:

“My wife and I,” Almina had joined Lawrence Brooke, tucking her arm into his elbow and beaming on the crowd, her gaze lingering longest on Jonathan and Melissa. “Are pleased to announce the engagement of our daughter, Melissa, to Mr. Jonathan Kennebrae. Please join us in congratulating the happy couple.” He lifted the glass in their direction. A polite wave of applause welled up.

Melissa stood, knocking her chair over onto the grass. She put her hand to her mouth, turning her head wildly from Jonathan to her parents, then back again. Jonathan rose slowly, easing up on numb legs.

“Kennebrae?” She whispered so low he had to stoop to hear her. “Your name is Kennebrae?”

“Of course it is. What else would it be?”

She blinked, staring at him. “But, I thought—” Her throat spasmed as she tried to swallow. “I thought…”

He caught her just before she hit the grass in a dead faint.

Key verse: Proverbs 21.1 The king's heart is in the hand of the LORD, as the rivers of water: He turneth it whithersoever He will.

For more information on Erica Vetsch and this Heartsong Title go to www.heartsongpresents.com

Question for today: Did your parents try to dictate your future or encourage you to follow your own heart and dreams?

7 comments:

  1. Sadly, they tried to dictate it. Both sides of my family were blue collar so higher education wasn't even a consideration for their children. Instead we encouraged to find a job and stay there.

    They did try to dictate my love interests...That's where I rebelled and married the man I loved! We've been married for almost twenty seven years.

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think they tried to dictate my life. I mean, there were things that were expected of me, such as going to college, but they didn't pressure me to do things that I didn't want to do, like sports. I know some parents who did, but mine never were that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They encourage me to follow the dreams I have, and support me in my journey. I can't tell you how BADLY I want to read this book- ever since I saw it on the ACFW new release page. Please enter me!!!

    caseymh18(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  4. My parents didn't dictate, nor did they encourage me to follow my heart. I think they thought my writing dream was pie in the sky.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My parents were very instrumental in where I went to college. And they've been very supportive about my writing. They've sold a lot of books for me through word of mouth. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aaron McCarverFebruary 18, 2010

    I have been very blessed with wonderfully supportive parents. Even though I had a full four-year scholarship to a large university in TN, they supported my decision to attend the Bible college I chose, where I now work. They always supported my writing, even when as an eight-year-old I talked about being an author all the way through to when God made the dream a reality.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My precious parents (both now in Heaven) were always supportive of me and my dreams. And when I was successful at something, they were always so proud of me. I always felt encouraged and very loved by them. ~ Patti Jo

    ReplyDelete