Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Patterns and Progress - Excerpt


Matthew 6:34 – Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.


An excerpt from Patterns and Progress

A flash of guilt appeared on her face before she erased it and tapped into her anger once more. "If you must know, I was minding my own business and making my way toward home when all of a sudden you came out of nowhere and ran me off the road."

Jacob leaned back against the car and folded his arms across his chest, giving her a leisurely perusal as he quirked one eyebrow. "Well, from what I see, you don't appear to be any worse for the wear. Of course, I’m no doctor, so I can't tell if there might be internal injuries. That would require closer inspection."

The young woman dipped her head toward her chest. If more light were available, Jacob was certain there'd be a blush on her cheeks. Maybe she was coming around. A beat later, she raised her head and glared.

Then again, maybe not.



Join us tomorrow for a guest blog from Amber Stockton!







QUESTION FOR YOU: What modern invention do least like?

9 comments:

  1. I can't think of a particular invention, but the added noise is what comes to mind for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I'm sure I'll be in the minority here, I think I have to say the whole cell phone/iPod/Blackberry combo set. But don't get me wrong. I do like the cell phone for the *phone* purpose. It's all the aps, texting, email, camera features that people use when they should be driving or focusing on people.

    I think we're over-inundated with "entertainment" and "speed" that we have lost our appreciation for time spent with friends and have gotten far too impatient.

    And Linda, you're right. The added noise is definitely a down-side.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you Tiffany:) Cell Phones are nice in a way but at the same time they can be a pain! Same thing with laptops:)
    And it is funny you mentioned the entertainment and speed. Our family was just talking about that the other day. We have come up with all these new inventions to make our work go faster and to have more free time, but it has hurt us. We don't spend time together the way families used to, etc. Kind of sad, I guess. Part of why I enjoy reading historical books.

    esterried[at]yahoo[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  4. As useful as cell phones are, I dislike the way many people abuse them. I was with a group of writers over the weekend, and one of them kept checking her email while the rest of us were having tea and conversation. In my mind, that's rude!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The one I could do without? Whatever technology makes it possible for telemarketers to do their jobs...including every political party, persuasion, and pesterer out there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, Amanda. People have lost sense of common courtesy and manners with those things. If I'm out with people, I turn it on vibrate, unless it's the rare occurrence that I'm waiting on important news.

    And LOL, Erica! That might make it to the top of most of our lists. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Boom Boxes--and those really loud speakers in cars that make your own car vibrate. I could easily live without those. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with the newer cell phones. I have only had a mobile about 12 months and dont use it often it doesn't have all the extras not even a camera. Cell phones cause so many accidents with people using them while driving. They are anti social. Also how kids now days have to have one and constantly text etc. they teach bad habits and cost a fortune (well they do in australia).
    Second would be some of the game systems which seem to keep kids inside playing video games and the violent games that go with the systems.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hate texting. Showing my age, but I'm so sick of everyone walking around staring at their phones with their thumbs flying. Just call the person if you need to talk to them that badly.

    Friends kept texting us and we didn't have a text plan. It was upping our phone bill, so I called the phone company and had texting blocked.

    ReplyDelete