Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Polar Opposites - An Excerpt

Here's a little taste of Polar Opposites by Susan Page Davis



“He’s terrific, but. . .”


“But what?”

Cheryl grimaced, trying to sort out her feelings. Did they really matter? “He won’t last a month.”

Robyn’s eyebrows shot up. “Why do you say that? So far, he loves it here.”

“Yes, but. . .Oh, I don’t know. He’s always lived in the city, and he’s not used to the cold and the long winters.”

“Mom, he’s originally from upstate New York. They have snow there.”

Cheryl shrugged. “I hope I’m wrong.”

She hoped so intensely. But she faced the truth. Being around Oz made her giddy, like a sixth-grader with a new crush. But no way would this man be a permanent part of her future. He was a suave, educated bachelor from the city, cultured and used to fine things. His wristwatch probably cost more than her car. Before coming to Wasilla, he’d been employed by the San Francisco Zoo, and before that the Philadelphia Zoo.

She was a country girl who’d grown up making do without a lot of things that people like Oz considered necessities. She saved her bread bags to reuse them and tried not to drive into Anchorage more than once a month to save gas. The mother of two grown children, grandmother of a darling baby boy, she valued her family above all else.

Polar opposites.



Key Verse from Polar Opposites:

“(Love) always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always preserves.” –I Corinthians 13:7




Question of the Day: I LOVE going to zoos. Do you? Do you have a favorite zoo? A favorite animal or zoo experience?

4 comments:

  1. I like the excerpt!

    Zoos are cool, though it's a rare treat. The closest one is a few hours away--guess the animals wouldn't like all our snow ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The closest good zoos to me are in either Chicago or St. Louis, but I love the penguins and the giraffes!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love going to the zoo. My daughter loves the Okapi and Giraffes, and my son is a fan of whatever's up and moving around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorites are the cats at the zoo, tigers, lions, linx, panthers. I think it stems from a time as a child when we visited the zoo and there was a very vocal lion!

    ReplyDelete