Tuesday, April 20, 2010

A Promise Forged - An Excerpt

Are you always this impertinent?”

The soft, musical voice pulled him from his belief that no one could see him. Jack turned, and his gaze collided with the player from that morning. She was even younger than he’d thought, with an innocence that belied the fact coming to Chicago was probably the biggest thing that had happened to her.

Her jade eyes arrested him. They seemed to pierce through him, weigh him, and find him wanting. No woman ever did that.

Jack stood and found the girl was as petite as he thought. With creamy skin, red curls, and the green eyes, she looked like a Irish doll, one that barely hit his chest.

“Not really talkative, huh.” She crossed her arms and stared at him. “I can’t wait to see what you write in the paper. I’m sure each word will perfectly represent what is actually happening here.”

“Slow down. Take a breath.” He held up his hands. “I doubt you’ll see the article, and I only write what I observe.”

“A casual observer. Non-partial, no agenda at all.” She jutted her chin out, stubbornness oozing from her.

“Claiming you haven’t formed an opinion about me?” Jack flashed her his most charming smile. “I’m Jack Raymond.”

“Katherine Miller. And yes, I already know what I need to about you.”



Many, O Lord my God, are they wonderful works which thou hast done, and thy thoughts which are us-ward: they cannot be reckoned up in order unto thee: if I would declare and speak of them, they are more than can be numbered. Psalm 40:5

Question of the Day: How many of you have seen the movie A League Of Their Own?

8 comments:

  1. Great excerpt!

    Yes, I've seen A League of Their Own, but it's been years. I love "there's no crying in baseball."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen the movie several times and love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, no, NOOOOOOOOOOO! That can't be the end can it??????

    AWESOME excerpt, makes me want to read more. :) This book is going on my wishlist for my next Amazon order.

    No, I have never seen that movie. :) Thanks so much for posting this!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I've seen the movie. I even have it on VHS but I don't have a VCR anymore. : (

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never seen the entire film. Parts of it, but not all of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That excerpt definitely drew me in. I love that such a small scene with dynamic dialogue can really bring characters to life and show us exactly what they're like without having to "tell" us anything.

    I've seen A League of Their Own and enjoyed it. There are some strong characters in there, which make the movie so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I have seen, but I hate the ending. I do not like that, in my opinion, the Genna Davis character let down her entire team just so her spoiled and whiny sister could win. Great excerpt, Cara! Sounds like another winner.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that movie. Shocked, aren't ya :-) But I did find errors as I started researching this book -- not many -- but the biggest is that the teams traveled by train that first season. It was only in the second that they got buses. Remember -- they played those first seasons with rationing.

    ReplyDelete