Heartsong Presents #904
Sarah doesn’t dare look back . . .
Sarah Anderson refuses to become a drudge for her stepfather and his unruly children after her mother dies in 1882. Neither will she become a pawn for his indebtedness to a riverboat gambler. Sarah escapes from her Missouri home and heads for California to find her brother Seth, trusting God to keep her safe on the perilous journey west.
Matt Sterling rescued Seth from danger and taught him to become a top hand on the Sterling ranch near Madera. Betrayed by one selfish girl, Matt has vowed the San Joaquin River will run dry before he ever gets involved with another woman. He’s better off fighting cattle rustlers, floods and drought to make his spread one of the finest in the valley.
Is love's long lasso strong enough to overcome obstacles and rope in the runaway girl and the once-bitten, twice-shy rancher?
“I'll bet he isn't like Gus,” she [Sarah] whispered. “Matthew Sterling looks kind and good. According to Seth, he's as strong and true as his name.”
She closed her eyes and imagined the stranger riding up to rescue her from the unspeakable future Gus and Tice planned. The next instant Sarah shook her head. “Appearances are just that—appearances. Seth might be mistaken about his friend. Even though Matthew means gift of the Lord, he might be no better than Gus or Tice.”
Sarah sighed. If all men were like those two, she would never marry. Better to live alone than to live married to someone she didn't love—or worse, who would never really love her the way God meant a husband to love his wife.
“No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper . . . This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD” (Isaiah 54:17).
COLLEEN L. REECE was born and raised in a small western Washington logging town. She learned to read by kerosene lamplight and dreamed of someday writing a book. God has multiplied Colleen's “someday” book into more than 140 titles that have sold six million copies. Colleen was twice voted Heartsong Presents' Favorite Author and later inducted into Heartsong's Hall of Fame. Several of her books have appeared on the CBA Bestseller list.
Do you have a garden? What do you grow?
- ► 2011 (150)
- Guest Blog with Jeri Odell
- Guest Blog with Jeri Odell
- Perfect Ways by Jeri Odell
- And The Winner Is...
- From The Vault – A Hero for her Heart
- Guest Blog with Nancy Toback
- Guest Blog with Candice Speare
- Boxed into Love – Candice Speare and Nancy Toback...
- Yay, Sandy!!
- From The Vault Changing Seasons by Colleen Reece
- Launching Out in the Wrong Direction
- Guest Blog with Colleen Reece
- Romance Rides the Range by Colleen L. Reece
- This Week's Winner Is...
- From The Vault--Treasure in the Hills
- Guest Blog with Paige Winship Dooly
- An Excerpt from The Lightkeeper's Daughter
- The Lightkeeper's Daughter - Paige Winship Dooly
- Drum Roll Please...
- From The Vault
- Guest Blog with SHANNON TAYLOR VANNATTER
- An Excerpt from White Roses
- ▼ June (22)