Thursday, July 8, 2010

From the Vault




The Bartered Bride

by Erica Vetsch



Heartsong Presents #875

ISBN: 9781602605893



Jonathan Kennebrae is furious when his grandfather informs him that his future has been decided. He will marry Melissa Brooke or lose his inheritance. Melissa, too, is devastated when her parents make their announcement. As little more than a bargaining chip in her father's business maneuvers, she feels her secure world slipping away. Can Jonathan and Melissa find a way out of this loveless marriage, or must they find a way forward together?



From the book:



“My wife and I,” Almina had joined Lawrence Brooke, tucking her arm into his elbow and beaming on the crowd, her gaze lingering longest on Jonathan and Melissa. “Are pleased to announce the engagement of our daughter, Melissa, to Mr. Jonathan Kennebrae. Please join us in congratulating the happy couple.” He lifted the glass in their direction. A polite wave of applause welled up.



Melissa stood, knocking her chair over onto the grass. She put her hand to her mouth, turning her head wildly from Jonathan to her parents, then back again. Jonathan rose slowly, easing up on numb legs.



“Kennebrae?” She whispered so low he had to stoop to hear her. “Your name is Kennebrae?”



“Of course it is. What else would it be?”



She blinked, staring at him. “But, I thought—” Her throat spasmed as she tried to swallow. “I thought…”



He caught her just before she hit the grass in a dead faint.



Key verse:

Proverbs 21.1 The king's heart is in the hand of the LORD, as the rivers of water: He turneth it whithersoever He will.



Question of the Day: I love to re-read old favorite books. Do you re-read, or are you a once and done kind of reader?

4 comments:

  1. I love to re-read. The story never becomes old for me and I just happened to finish a re-read recently. Though my grandmother is a once and done reader.

    I don't think I am exagerating to say I REALLY want to read this book, so please enter me!

    caseymh18(@)gmail(.)com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to read my favorites again and again. I just had to say The Bartered Bride would be on that list, it just captured my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Casey, my sister is a once and done, but I read, re-read, re-re-read... :)

    Merry, that's about the nicest thing anyone has ever said about one of my books! You made my day! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I NEVER (or extremely seldom) re-read books!! There are so many great books out there that I just want to read, and devour them all, as fast as I can! There isn't enough time to read all that's out there, so I can't waste time re-reading a book that I love when I want to experience the thrill of reading another book! I hope this rambling comment makes sense...
    Oh, if I do read a book and love it, I make sure to feature it on my blog and recommend it to readers, I just don't read it again myself!

    ReplyDelete