Thursday, May 20, 2010
From The Vault - The Bartered Bride
By Erica Vetsch
– HS 875
Jonathan Kennebrae is furious when his grandfather informs him that his future has been decided. He will marry Melissa Brooke or be disinherited. Jonathan has invested years of his life in Kennabrae Shipping, but heaven help him if Grandfather decides to take it all away for this.
Melissa, too, is devastated when her parents make their announcement. As little more than a bargaining chip in her father’s business maneuvers, she feels her secure world slipping away. Engaged to marry a man she has never met—someone “considerably older” than herself? What have her parents done?
Can Jonathan and Melissa find a way out of this loveless marriage, or must they find a way forward together?
“My wife and I,” Almina had joined Lawrence Brooke, tucking her arm into his elbow and beaming on the crowd, her gaze lingering longest on Jonathan and Melissa. “Are pleased to announce the engagement of our daughter, Melissa, to Mr. Jonathan Kennebrae. Please join us in congratulating the happy couple.” He lifted the glass in their direction. A polite wave of applause welled up.
Melissa stood, knocking her chair over onto the grass. She put her hand to her mouth, turning her head wildly from Jonathan to her parents, then back again. Jonathan rose slowly, easing up on numb legs.
“Kennebrae?” She whispered so low he had to stoop to hear her. “Your name is Kennebrae?”
“Of course it is. What else would it be?”
She blinked, staring at him. “But, I thought—” Her throat spasmed as she tried to swallow. “I thought…”
He caught her just before she hit the grass in a dead faint.
Proverbs 21:1 The King’s heart is in the hand of the Lord, as the rivers of water: He turneth it whithersoever He will.
Have you ever fainted or been with someone who has?
- ► 2011 (150)
- White Roses by Shannon Taylor Vannatter
- And The Winner Is...
- From The Vault--By His Hand by Jennifer Johnson
- Guest Blog with Jennifer Johnson
- Excerpt from Gaining Love
- Gaining Love by Jennifer Johnson
- This Week's Winner!
- From The Vault - The Bartered Bride
- Guest Blog With ERICA VETSCH
- An Excerpt From Clara and the Cowboy
- Clara and the Cowboy - Erica Vetsch
- Drum Roll Please...
- From The Vault by Laurie Alice Eakes -- Better Tha...
- Guest Blog with Laurie Alice Eakes
- An Excerpt From The Heiress
- The Heiress - Laurie Alice Eakes
- And The Winner Is...
- From The Vault
- Guest Blog with Becky Melby & Cathy Wienke
- An Excerpt From Parting Secrets
- Parting Secrets by Becky Melby and Cathy Wienke
- ▼ May (21)