Thursday, May 6, 2010
From The Vault
Stillwater Promise - H S #857
His nod was barely perceptible.
As desperately as Sara wanted to look away from the hurt on his face, she couldn’t. His eyes glistened and he blinked. Bending down, he picked up his jacket. She hadn’t seen it on the floor behind the coffee table. At the sight of the scarred brown leather her pulse skipped. She tried not to remember the scent of it, but couldn’t block it out.
He stood, slid his arms into the jacket. He hadn’t said a word after her reply. Sara rose to her feet, but couldn’t have moved away from that spot if she’d wanted to. Her legs felt nailed to the floor. Reece had told the truth—this was not the same man who walked out on her. His body had filled out and his face had lost its boyish look. A long-sleeved black t-shirt fit tight across well-defined muscles. She wondered how he could move his arms in the snug jacket. The sky-blue eyes she saw in her dreams seemed deeper set and held the look of a man who had lived hard for the past two years.
As he zipped his jacket, he looked at her with a slight smile that hinted of regret. “I’ll be at Mom and Dad’s until the day after Christmas if...” Leaving the sentence unfinished, he walked past her, then turned and reached out to her. The back of his hand touched her cheek. His eyes gleamed with tears. “Sara...” His voice was soft and hoarse, just above a whisper. “I still love you.”
He took his gloves from the shelf and walked out the door.
Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.
How can Sara trust a man who abandoned her twice? When Sara's dream of her own bed-and-breakfast is finally coming true, the man who left her twice shows up wanting to be her prince again. Life has been harsh for James since he ran out on Sara for the second time. None of his music dreams have been realized. As a new Christian, he truly wants to make amends - but knows he won't be welcomed warmly. Will James and Sara surrender their marriage to the Lord? Or will misconceptions and selfish ambitions once again cause James to run?
Has there ever been a time when trusting someone who hurt you was easy? How did you do it?
- ► 2011 (150)
- White Roses by Shannon Taylor Vannatter
- And The Winner Is...
- From The Vault--By His Hand by Jennifer Johnson
- Guest Blog with Jennifer Johnson
- Excerpt from Gaining Love
- Gaining Love by Jennifer Johnson
- This Week's Winner!
- From The Vault - The Bartered Bride
- Guest Blog With ERICA VETSCH
- An Excerpt From Clara and the Cowboy
- Clara and the Cowboy - Erica Vetsch
- Drum Roll Please...
- From The Vault by Laurie Alice Eakes -- Better Tha...
- Guest Blog with Laurie Alice Eakes
- An Excerpt From The Heiress
- The Heiress - Laurie Alice Eakes
- And The Winner Is...
- From The Vault
- Guest Blog with Becky Melby & Cathy Wienke
- An Excerpt From Parting Secrets
- Parting Secrets by Becky Melby and Cathy Wienke
- ▼ May (21)