Thursday, September 9, 2010

From The Vault

Today's book from the vault is:

The Bartered Bride
By Erica Vetsch
HP 875
Historical Romance


From the Back Cover:


Can True Love Result From a Business Deal?

Jonathan Kennebrae is furious when his grandfather informs him that his future has been decided. He will marry Melissa Brooke or be disinherited. Jonathan has invested years of his life in Kennabrae Shipping, but heaven help him if Grandfather decides to take it all away for this.

Melissa, too, is devastated when her parents make their announcement. As little more than a bargaining chip in her father’s business maneuvers, she feels her secure world slipping away. Engaged to marry a man she has never met—someone “considerably older” than herself? What have her parents done?

Can Jonathan and Melissa find a way out of this loveless marriage, or must they find a way forward together?


From the Book:

“My wife and I,” Almina had joined Lawrence Brooke, tucking her arm into his elbow and beaming on the crowd, her gaze lingering longest on Jonathan and Melissa. “Are pleased to announce the engagement of our daughter, Melissa, to Mr. Jonathan Kennebrae. Please join us in congratulating the happy couple.” He lifted the glass in their direction. A polite wave of applause welled up.

Melissa stood, knocking her chair over onto the grass. She put her hand to her mouth, turning her head wildly from Jonathan to her parents, then back again. Jonathan rose slowly, easing up on numb legs.

“Kennebrae?” She whispered so low he had to stoop to hear her. “Your name is Kennebrae?”

“Of course it is. What else would it be?”

She blinked, staring at him. “But, I thought—” Her throat spasmed as she tried to swallow. “I thought…”

He caught her just before she hit the grass in a dead faint.



Key Verse:

Proverbs 21:1 The king's heart is in the hand of the LORD, as the rivers of water: he turneth it whithersoever he will.


The question of the day is: Have you ever fainted?

9 comments:

  1. This book sounds good! ;)

    I don't recall ever actually fainting, although once I thought I came close. Unfortunately, it was when my mom was putting a fluid in my ear (I think my ears were plugged or something) and I was a little freaked out, and I recall everything starting to go black. My mom helped me to my room, and once I was on my bed everything became clear again.

    No cute guys to catch me... Bummer! ;) *heavy sigh*

    Have a great day, everyone!

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost fainted twice in my life, but not quite. I felt the world closing in on me and I was able to snap out of it before the fainting happened. The first time, I was in my twenties and I'm not sure what caused it. The second time, I was on a strong medication because of my lower back pain, and the medicine didn't quite agree with me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I have never fainted, but I was speechless when I met my favorite author, Gilbert Morris. Oh, and I did catch a lady who fainted... It was my sister. Our family was on a long road trip out West and we were in very high elevation. Hmm, we are from the mountains of Tennessee, go figure! Anyway, I was just a kid and it scared me to death as she just fell forward into my arms. My other sister got a nose-bleed from that same altitude. Well, I guess I have digressed this morning. By the way, this is a GREAT book! I have had the privilege of editing all of Erica's books so far, and she is definitely a writer to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great book!

    And yes, I have fainted twice. Once at the end of a concert in junior high, right at the end of the concert when everyone else was walking out. And once on a really hot day and my honey caught me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amber...I imagine the whole fainting thing would be much nicer with a hero to catch you. :)

    Cecelia, yikes, that's scary, esp. the medication one. I hate taking meds. They rarely agree with me.

    Aaron, good thing you were the hero to catch your sister. She might've gotten a nose-bleed too...the hard way. Last year at the ACFW Conference in Denver one of the authors fainted because of altitude sickness. Very scary!

    Linda, another yay that someone was there to catch you! And yours DID happen to be your hero! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've fainted twice, both in my late teens. Once was in my last year of high school when my drama club was rehearsing long hours before and after school for a big production. I left the stage one evening and collapsed in the wings. Too little sleep and forgetting to eat wasn't a good combination! The second time was in the university library and my friends insisted on whipping me over to the hospital where we found out it was caused by the onset of the Asian Flu. Boy, was I sick!

    BTW, I love that key verse. It reminds me that even when life is suggesting otherwise, God is in control and we can trust our hearts to his care. A wonderful verse on which to base your story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never fainted, but once after a really bad bike accident (of which I still bare the scars) and my dad was cleaning up my wrecked arms, I got really lightheaded and everything sounded far away, but I didn't pass out. And like Amber there were no cute guys to catch me if I did. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never fainted, but I did feel sick and woozy after getting my shots at the doctor's office. I'm so needle-phobic. lol

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I was much younger I fainted fairly easily (walking into a hospital, having blood drawn, etc.). But now that I've given birth 3 times and have had numerous surgeries, I guess it's "toughened me up" LOL. But my heart goes out to those who do faint easily--it can be an awful feeling! ~ Blessings, Patti Jo

    ReplyDelete