Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Guest Blog with Kathy Kovach Day One


AN INTERVIEW WITH THE OREGON HEROINES

For today’s article, I thought it would be fun to interview my Oregon heroines. We will cover their aspirations in life, their relationships with the Lord, and for fun, something about the men.


Please meet Ruthanne Fairfax from God Gave the Song (GGS),





Meranda Drake from Crossroads Bay (CB),








and Glenys Bernard from Fine, Feathered Friend (FFF). Welcome ladies!




Ruthanne (GGS): Hi Kathy. It’s been awhile.

K: I know! Your story came out in October 2009! It’s great to reconnect with you again.

Meranda (CB): Ahoy, Kathy! How is the landlubber?

K: You know me. I got nauseous just writing about you on your charter boat!

Glenys (FFF): Hi Kats! So great to see you this soon!

K: Absolutely! I hated to let you, or any of the ladies, go. But there are readers out there who need to hear your stories. So, let’s get started.

K: First of all, tell us what you wanted in life at the beginning of your stories. (We don’t want tell how you’re doing now, or it may spoil things for my audience! LOL)

Ruthanne (GGS): I was so focused on helping my friend, Hannie, manage her alpaca ranch, that I nearly missed how sick she’d gotten. But, I wanted so much to help this magnificent woman after the death of her husband. I guess I poured so much into the business that I forgot to have a life.

K: Well, we fixed that little problem, didn’t we? BTW, after researching alpacas, I think I want one now.

Meranda (CB): Nothing became more important to me than finding the coins that had been in my family for generations. I needed to prove that they weren’t a myth because my father died trying to find them, and the whole community labeled him “crazy.” I’m afraid I neglected the rest of my family as I became obsessed.

K; But sometimes the hardest lessons are the ones that reap the greatest rewards. Of all my heroines, Meranda, you were the one that I had to push off the edge to get you to see God’s will.

Glenys (FFF): I guess focus was the theme for all of us. I was so focused on landing that career changing role in a movie that I forgot who God wanted me to be.

K: You’re right, Glenys. All of you were living with blinders in your own little worlds. But, we must start low if we’re going to end high, and each of you came away with lessons learned.

Meranda (CB): Hey! Be careful not to spoil anything for your readers!

K: Heartsong readers know there’s always a happy ending. They wouldn’t read if you all stayed in yourselves and never grew. And speaking of growing, let’s talk about your relationships with God.

Ruthanne (GGS): I think I can speak for all of us when I say we all knew the Lord, but had strayed from His plan. For myself, Hannie had led me into the Kingdom after taking me in. Her servant’s heart touched me deeply, and I aspire to be just like her.

Meranda (CB): Yes, I also strayed. My family had gone to church when I was young, mostly because it was THE thing to do. My mother was more focused on being seen at church than seeking God. But, somehow, His word soaked in to my young soul. I drifted away after my father died, angry at Him for taking Pop away.

Glenys (FFF): My mother led me to the Lord. Between us, we worked on Dad, but she never saw his conversion. . .this side of heaven anyway. I knew I wanted to become an actress, but somehow, I forgot to pray about that. Was that God’s will for my life? Did He want me to go out for the big role? I had a tough lesson to learn, as well.

K: Yes, we all journeyed together, didn’t we girls? And now, let’s talk about our men!

Ruthanne (GGS): I thought Skye Randall was the oddest person I’d ever met. And remember, Hannie was a hippie! Despite his sky blue eyes (and yes, I did notice them!) there was a cloud hanging over him. A dark, thunder cloud. He was clearly unhappy that we raised alpacas on our ranch. But, he was a good man. I saw that through his determination as he worked through things in his own life.

Meranda (CB): I’m afraid I didn’t see Paul Godfrey as the hero in my story for quite awhile. He catered a wedding on my boat, but all I noticed was that he spent most of his time draped over the side. No way was I going to hook up with a landlubber!

K: But I had other plans.

Meranda (CB): Oh, yes you did, and when I finally saw him the way you wrote him. . .wow! Who can resist a man who not only cooks for you and but helps you follow your dream.

Glenys (FFF): I’m afraid I was so frightened of all the birds in the rescue center that I didn’t even think about Tim Vogel as a potential boyfriend.

K: Hey, you had a fear of birds because of my Aunt Helen.

(Silence and strange looks from the three women.)

K: Let me explain. My Great-Aunt Helen and Great-Uncle Cameron raised chickens at their house in Ellis, Kansas. When I was about six years old, we visited them. Aunt Helen took me out to see the chickens. She placed a hen in my arms and it wasn’t as soft as it looked! I thought the pin feathers and clawed feet felt “icky” in my arms. And when it thrashed around wanting to be let go, it frightened me. So, poor Glenys had to suffer because of me. Sorry about that. But, please, continue telling about Tim.

Glenys (FFF): Thanks a lot, Kathy! Now, back to the more pleasant subject! I gravitated toward Tim, mostly to avoid the other bird of prey, a tall, slimy man named Vic. Both men had offered to help me over my fear, but Tim seemed the safest choice. It’s a shame that he had to work through his prejudice over actresses in order to get to know me better.

K: Thank you, ladies! It still astounds me how three diverse women could have the same struggles and victories, yet such different stories. It’s been great visiting with you again. Let’s keep in touch!

Ruthanne (GGS): Thank you, Kathy! I pray your readers continue to pass your books along so that we can continue to relay God’s message through our stories.

(Meranda and Glenys nod in agreement, wide smiles on their faces.)

What a fun way to meet Kathy's heroines! Which one can you most relate to?

5 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the glimpse I got of Meranda's sense of humor. Laughter is always a wonderful antidote to the hard things in life, and she seemed witty and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a fun idea for an interview! And ya for Oregon girls! (OK, so technically I'm a California girl, but I'm going to college in Oregon so that counts for something, right?)

    Anyway, they all sound like great heroines with great stories, but I think I'm most drawn to the book Fine, Feathered Friend. The hero and the story sound great, and what an important lesson to remember, that God's will should be our main focus. :) Definitely something I need to be reminded of!

    ~Amber

    stokes[dot]a[at]suddenlink[dot]net

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea to interview your characters! Thanks for sharing this, Kathy! I could see "glimpses" of myself in all 3 characters, and look forward to reading your books.
    Blessings, Patti Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol, this was really fun and cute.
    Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a clever blog! Just like the books. I've read and loved all three!

    ReplyDelete