Monday, March 15, 2010

Sugar and Spice by Frances Devine




This week's feature book is Sugar and Spice by Frances Devine.





HP 891
ISBN 978-1-60260-706-4
HISTORICAL

Cici has put herself in grave danger.


From the back cover:



When Cici Willow, a pastor’s daughter, falls in love with Jimmy Grayson, she feels she must give up a lifelong desire for excitement and adventure. Feeling guilty over her selfishness, she jumps at the chance to do what she thought would be a good deed, but instead she runs straight into danger.
Jimmy is certain about his love for Cici, but he isn’t sure why his future as an attorney no longer satisfies him. Or why he suddenly feels more at home among the poor folks near the docks. To make life more disturbing, the man who exploited Jimmy and his sister has reappeared. When Jimmy sees Cici, standing on the deck of a tour boat with the villain, he can’t believe his eyes. And as the steamer Eastland sinks into the murky Chicago River, will God answer Cici’s prayer to give her a second chance at life and love?






About Frances:




FRANCES DEVINE spent most of her childhood, teen, and young adult years in Dallas, Texas, but lived for five years in a little country community called Brushy Creek among the beautiful pine woods of East Texas. There, she wrote her first story at the age of nine. She moved to Southwest Missouri more than twenty years ago and fell in love with the hills, the fall colors, and Silver Dollar City. Frances considers herself blessed to have the opportunity to write for Barbour Books. She is the mother of seven adult children and has fourteen wonderful grandchildren. Frances is happy to hear from her fans.




Question of the Day: Chicago is a favorite vacation spot for our family. Have you ever been to the Windy City? If so, what do you love to do there?

10 comments:

  1. I've never to been to Chicago. : ( I've always wanted to visit there. We have a nephew going to college there now, so maybe I should use that as an excuse to get there!

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never been there, but I hear mixed reviews of the city. I never thought of it as a vacation spot. Maybe some day I'll find out for myself. The book sounds very interesting...and the cover is intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live two hours south of Chicago, so I've been there several times. I love the Field Museum, the Museum of Science and Industry, Shedd Aquarium, and Navy Pier. My youth group used to go up every Christmas and shop on Michigan Avenue--so pretty! I like visiting, but I always like going back to the pace of my hometown.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been to Chicago a couple of times, and my favorite memory is attending historic Moody Church and then walking around Lincoln Park Zoo on a beautiful, warm spring Sunday afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I live in Chicagoland. Yes, that's how the area is referred to around here. I'm actually in the burbs, but like most of us, those that live here forget all that the city and the surrounding area offers.

    There is much history here which can be studied and the Historical Society on North Ave. Then there his the Museum of Natural History, where you can actually visit the dinosaur Sue. Well, the remains of the old gal.

    In addition to what has been said already you can enjoy good theater and restaurants. Navy Pier is also a place for good entertainment.

    Someone mentioned Moody Church, but the area is also home to one of the original mega churches, Willow Creek in South Barrington.

    Like sports? You've got Soldier Field where the Bears play, Wrigley Field which is an historical landmark, where the Cubs play, and the United Center where the Bulls & Black Hawks play.

    The lake is the best asset of all. It keeps us relatively cool in summer and a tad warmer in winter than the rest of the state. It also seems like a good buffer from getting hit by severe spring storms. Can't say the same for snow though LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haven't been there to visit yet. It's on my list of things to do/places to go.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the cover of this book!

    I've been to Chicago, and I love all the museums. I could live in the Field Museum for days. One of the ones on my list to visit is the Cook County Historical Society museum.

    Hopefully, when we drive through Chicago this fall, we will budget in some time to museum hop.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aaron McCarverMarch 15, 2010

    I have never been there, but as I said on the Edit Cafe, the books in this series by Frances make me feel as if I had been...just in a different time! Great series! I hope to get to Chicago sometime in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never been, but have heard they have great pizza there*grin*. ~ Frances's book sounds great! Blessings, Patti Jo :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been to Chicago a few times. I attended an RWA conference there several years ago and my sister lives there, so I've been to visit her. Oh, anybody reading this comment, the highlight of my Chicago visit is Garrett's Popcorn!!! I get a big bag of that caramel corn! It is so good! It's homemade, so I'm not talking about getting caramel corn that tastes like Fiddle-Faddle or Cracker Jack! This stuff compares to NOTHING, in order to see how good it is, you'll have to try some! I've seen people line up to get this warm, fresh, caramel popcorn! Yum!

    ReplyDelete